McCain has built a media-friendly reputation as a "maverick" and moderate. But there's nothing moderate about McCain, a loyal ally of Bush who has consistently and perniciously voted against the interests of working families in his decades-long career in Washington.
The new McCain Revealed website features an interactive McCain briefing book that answers the questions you need to know before you go to the polls, including where he stands on the economy, jobs, health care, trade, workers' rights, retirement security and the Bush administration. The briefing book also features facts about the economy and stories of real workers hurt by the McCain-Bush agenda.
When you page through the briefing book, you'll learn:
- McCain admits he doesn't really understand the economy.
- McCain systematically votes for bad trade agreements like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) that don't protect workers.
- McCain voted to block the Employee Free Choice Act and doesn't support bargaining rights for federal workers.
- McCain has voted to privatize Social Security.
- McCain's health care plan would raise taxes and wouldn't cut costs or cover more people.
- McCain voted 89 percent of the time with Bush, and in 2007, he was a Bush McClone, voting with Bush 95 percent of the time.
The website is just one part of the AFL-CIO's largest grassroots mobilization in history. Through worksite fliers, media events and member-to-member communication, the AFL-CIO will educate union members and working families in preparation for the 2008 elections.
The AFL-CIO will continue the Working Families Vote 2008 campaign to help elect a worker-friendly Congress and president.