The cease-fire seems to be holding, but collective punishment of the
people of Gaza in the form of illegal closure is still the norm. Learn
more at our Israel/Palestine 101 page. JVP continues to call for an end
of the siege.
Join Jewish Voice for Peace <<http://jewishvoiceforpeace.org>> and thousands in anti-war protests around
the world including in Bethlehem, Tel Aviv, Ramallah and Haifa.
JVP statement on Operation Pillar of Defense
Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) calls for an immediate cessation of the air strikes and naval bombardment into Gaza and an end to the ongoing siege of Gaza.
JVP urges Israel not to exploit its asymmetric power to exacerbate the instability in the region. We urge President Obama to take a stand against these attacks and to use the power of the United States to insist that Israel pursue all diplomatic measures possible for the sake of life, safety and security on all sides.
JVP also urges the end of rocket attacks from Gaza into civilian communities in Israel, which we believe is never justifiable, and which only serve to derail efforts for a just resolution to the conflict.
Download JVP Fact Sheets and Banner here:
• 7 things you need to know about Gaza
• Top sources for learning more about Gaza
• Protest banner: Peace for all starts with freedom for Gaza.
Find out about protest events in your area
(mostly North America) or post additional protests and global actions here.
Read this fact sheet on the timeline of events from the Institute for Middle East Understanding.
Click here for Gaza protest toolkit (including sample press advisory, talking points, chant sheets, and protest posters you can use.)
Sign this petition by the people of the border areas in Gaza and Israel calling for an immediate ceasefire and diplomacy.
Say no to a blank check for attack on Gaza! Sign the open letter to Obama.
Want to understand more about the crisis in Gaza and Israel?
Wondering where to find good news sources and analysis? Here are some of our favorite sources.
- Jewish Voice for Peace
• Follow Gaza tweets on Twitter: https://twitter.com/theIMEU/watching-gaza
• Gaza Youth Break Out: https://www.facebook.com/GazaYBO
Powerful short videos:
• Rafeef Ziadeh: We Teach Life, Sir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKucPh9xHtM
• Gaza Reel on Israel’s control over Gaza borders
• Teenage Israeli conscientious objectors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNjggLhQo6w
• Ha’aretz: http://www.haaretz.com/news
• Ma'an News Agency: http://www.maannews.net/eng/Default.aspx
• 972Magazine: http://972mag.com/
• Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/spotlight/gazacrisis/
• Democracy Now: http://www.democracynow.org/
Middle East focused websites/analysis
The Institute for Middle East Understanding: www.IMEU.net
Stories from those on the ground in Gaza: http://imeu.net/news/article0023240.shtml
Valuable articles to circulate:
Timeline of the latest escalation in Gaza: http://imeu.net/news/article0023227.shtml
Electronic Intifada: www.ElectronicIntifada.net
Magnes Zionist: http://www.jeremiahhaber.com/
Glenn Greenwald: http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/glenn-greenwald
• Ten Things you Need to Know About Gaza: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/gaza-10-things-you-need-to-know_b_2139356.html
• Israel's mission is not about security-so what is it about? Nadia Hijab, CNN.
• Outrage in Gaza Redux by JVP rabbinical council co-chair Rabbi Brant Rosen: http://rabbibrant.com/2012/11/16/outrage-in-gaza-redux/
• Open Letter to President Obama by JVP Board Member Abby Okrent: http://righteoustrayf.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/an-open-letter-to-the-president/
Excellent discussion of context:
• Chris Hayes on MSNBC. What sparked escalation of violence? Interview with attorney Noura Erekat, 972Magazine’s Noam Shezaif, Yousef Munayyer of Palestine Center and David Frum. http://tinyurl.com/d7buhr4
Human rights organizations and data:
Gisha: Legal Center for Freedom of Movement: http://www.gisha.org/
Gisha short videos: http://www.gisha.org/cat-gallery.asp?lang_id=en&p_id=65
Palestinian Center for Human Rights: http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/