[Editors' Note: Stepan Bandera, referred to in the statement, was a Ukrainian fascist leader who fought alongside the Nazis against the Soviets in the Second World War]
June 5, 2014
The Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Russian Federation expresses its deep indignation at the events in Ukraine.
The Bandera-fascist junta which seized the power in Kiev goes on with its bloody punitive action against civilians. Security agencies under Kiev’s control subject residential areas, hospitals, schools and kindergartens to artillery attacks and air raids against mass victims among civil population. These actions have all the indications of open terror and ethnic cleansing.
The CPRF believes that the so-called election of Mr. Pororshenko as the new president of Ukraine has nothing to do with the idea of “free and fair elections.”
Moreover, as developments convince us, his coming to power resulted in expanding the punitive operation and its transformation into a real slaughter. The footage of the bloody air raid in the centre of Lugansk, filmed by eye-witnesses, is really shocking. This act of terror is the same as the barbarous bombardments of Spanish Guernica, British Coventry and Soviet Stalingrad.
This is the true face of fascism. The war crimes that are being committed have no time limitation for prosecution. They must become the subject for consideration by a special tribunal. Punishment is inevitable for those who gave the criminal orders: Turchinov, Yatsenjuk, Avakov, Poroshenko. Those who fulfill their orders will not avoid punishment as well.
The CPRF calls attention to the fact that the most atrocious incidents coincide in time with the visitsof major US politicians to Ukraine. In our opinion this is yet more evidence that this reckless military scheme of the Kiev junta was conceived by the Washington Administration and is being managed by it. These steps by American politicians must be severely condemned at the international level.
The possibility that this conflict will spread not only into the neighboring regions of Ukraine, but also into the bordering areas of Russia is quite real. It is our country that this war is aimed at. This war is fratricidal and destructive for the foundations of Russian statehood. The situation requires immediate response on the part of the president and the government of Russia.
The CPRF stands for an immediate session of the Russian Federation's Security Council. A number of measures must be elaborated without delay to stop conflict from spreading and bring the situation in Ukraine back to normal. Under present circumstances the CC CPRF considers it to be necessary:
- to recognize officially the Donetsk and the Lugansk People’s Republics
- to secure a no-fly zone over the territory of these republics aiming at putting an end to death and destruction
- to arrange a humanitarian corridor for supplying people of the Donetsk and the Lugansk People’s Republics with living essentials and for evacuating the victims
- to take measures to help refugees from Ukraine
- to support volunteers who would like to help the people of Ukraine in the struggle against bandera-fascist junta
- in case of further enlargement of the punitive operation against the citizens of the Donetsk and the Lugansk People’s Republics to demand that the president of the Russian Federation should exercise the right given to him by the Federation Council to use armed forces for the protection of the life and freedom of the civilians.
Inaction is becoming dangerous and deadly!
Chairman of the CC CPRF