Central Committee of the Communist Party of Venezuela (PCV) Summons the Party’s National Congress
Caracas, Dec/23 (Press Office, PCV) — The Fourth Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Venezuela has called for the broadest possible internal discussion on the ongoing debate about Socialism and the building of the “Party of the Revolution.” For that purpose, the Central Committee has summoned extraordinarily the XIII National Congress of the Party. These are the salient points of the Public Statement released yesterday by the Central Committee during a press conference. Here is the full text of said Statement.
The Fourth Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Venezuela (PCV), assembled in Caracas on December 21st, 2006, has held a broad, deep and enlightening discussion on the proposal by President Hugo Chávez Frías, supreme leader of the Bolivarian Revolutionary process, regarding the construction of the Socialist Unified Party of Venezuela (PSUV).
1. In this regard, the Central Committee of PCV ratifies its steady and unyielding historical commitment to the construction of the broadest possible unity of the democratic and revolutionary forces in our country, the continent and the World, in order to stop and liquidate US imperialism. We ratify also our commitment to the goals of justice, equality, solidarity, national independence, sovereignty and self-determination for our people, the liquidation of exploitation, the utter liberation of the oppressed classes, and the building of People’s Power as an expression of Revolutionary Democracy. It is within this framework that we at PCV understand the historical necessity of advancing towards the construction of the organic unity of all revolutionary men and women in our country.
2. We salute the decision of all political organizations which have agreed to join PSUV, since every move towards the organic integration of progressive and revolutionary groups, regardless of its nature and character, is a step forward for the patriotic forces.
3. We deem the proposal presented by President Chávez on December 15th, as a fundamental step towards the construction of an entity able to lead and command the Bolivarian Revolution. In agreement with the procedures of our internal democracy, this proposal has to be assessed and debated by the entire membership of our Party. For this purpose, the Central Committee has decided to summon the Extraordinary National Congress of the Party, which will assemble on March 3rd and 4th, 2007.
4. Within the framework of the Extraordinary National Congress, all Cells, Local Committees and Regional Committees of our Party will debate the following topics:
a) the ideological foundations which the proposed new Party must have;
b) the conception of Socialism which we wish to build in Venezuela;
c) the class character which a revolutionary Party must have:
d) the organic structure of the Party;
e) the issue of collective leadership within the proposed United Party.
5. Furthermore, the Fourth Plenary Meeting has decided to initiate an open, broad, deep, and democratic debate with all Parties and Movements with which we have been working together, for the purpose of taking on this subject collectively.
6. The Fourth Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee of PCV has also decided to convene the Fifth Plenary Meeting for January 13th and 14th, to review and approve the Basic Document on this subject that will be debated by all our members and organizations during the process leading up to the Extraordinary National Congress, and to approve the Rules of Order for the Conferences that will be held during that process by our Cells, Local Committees and Regional Committees, as well as for the National Congress itself.
Finally, the Fourth Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee declares the Communist Party of Venezuela in a State of Internal Discussion and in an Ideological and Political Mobilization, with the purpose of rendering our best contributions to the national debate triggered by President Hugo Chávez on Socialism, which is, for our organization, the central and jost fundamental issue of the definition of Revolutionary Politics.
Fourth Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Venezuela
Caracas, December 21st, 2006